Sales reps are the lifeblood of any company. They’re the ones who make things happen and get results. And while there are many sales reps out there, only a handful can truly be considered top sales performers. So what separates the best from the rest? Here are some tips and tricks on how to be among the top performing sales reps:

Top Performing Sales Reps: The Ones Who Always Bring in the Most Revenue

The top performing sales reps are the ones who consistently bring in the most revenue for their company. They know how to close deals and always seem one step ahead of the competition.

They are the ones who always hit their quotas and always find new ways to increase their sales.

Characteristics of Top Performing Sales Reps

These habits and sales skills — a mix of innate and learned abilities — separate the top-performing sales representatives from the average ones. “High-performers” were defined as those who regularly exceeded their quotas.

Survey results have found the importance of having sales managers who coach and train their sales teams and that there are certain traits that you should look for when hiring.

To identify the traits and characteristics of high-performing B2B sales reps, researchers surveyed 500+ business-to-business (B2B) senior sales managers.

1. Communicating value.

Salespeople who focus on providing value to a prospect throughout the buying process are more likely to close deals.

They can break down your high-level value prop into specific, tangible benefits for each prospect.

Conversations with buyers focused on their pain points, goals, and business objectives can help you better tailor your message and demonstrate how your solution can help them.

2. Actively listening and asking the right questions.

The best salespeople ask questions that help them understand the customer’s viewpoint. They also use body language and vocal tone to show they’re actively listening to what the prospect is saying.

This can be difficult to gauge virtually, but it’s still an important skill.

The top 8% of sales teams ask more questions and listen more than the other 92% of salespeople.

3. Practicing empathy.

As a sales professional, it’s important to understand what your buyers need. By understanding this, you can establish the need for your product. However, you don’t want to be too pushy or aggressive.

If you’re not an empathic salesperson, you’re likely only focused on selling and demoing your product or service, regardless of the customer’s situation.

Salespeople who practice more empathetic behaviors tend to outperform their peers.

4. Using the right sales process.

A top performer aligns their activity with the sales team‘s overall strategy. They know how to qualify opportunities and won’t waste their time on deals they can’t win.

The top-performing sales reps know their sales technique inside and out and know how to qualify a lead. They won’t waste their time on an unwinnable opportunity.

To become the top performing sales rep, you must use a repeatable sales technique. This helps you maintain a 7.5 score, which is above the average of 5.4.

5. Building Your Sales Funnel.

The most successful salespeople understand the value of building a robust sales pipeline and constantly reaching out to new potential customers.

High-performing sales reps have a specific mindset that allows them to identify goals, overcome adversity objections, and manage their time efficiently. This allows them to make more phone calls and connect with more prospects. These key skills are essential for success in sales.


If you want to be among the top performing sales reps, follow these tips and tricks! With passion and dedication, you can reach the top of your field. Keep learning and advancing your sales skills so that you can continue to provide value for your company. And always remember, the customer comes first!

Need Help Automating Your Sales Prospecting Process?

LeadFuze gives you all the data you need to find ideal leads, including full contact information.

Go through a variety of filters to zero in on the leads you want to reach. This is crazy specific, but you could find all the people that match the following: 

  • A company in the Financial Services or Banking industry
  • Who have more than 10 employees
  • That spend money on Adwords
  • Who use Hubspot
  • Who currently have job openings for marketing help
  • With the role of HR Manager
  • That has only been in this role for less than 1 year
Just to give you an idea. 😀
Editors Note:

Want to help contribute to future articles? Have data-backed and tactical advice to share? I’d love to hear from you!

We have over 60,000 monthly readers that would love to see it! Contact us and let's discuss your ideas!

Justin McGill
About Author: Justin McGill
This post was generated for LeadFuze and attributed to Justin McGill, the Founder of LeadFuze.